Ask a Dentist   »  

Do TMJ symptoms indicate the development of condylar resorption after a jaw surgery?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2018
May 2018
Excellent

Dentist
Question
Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

I am 29 years old and fearful about developing condylar resorption.

I have a double jaw surgery and genioplasty in 2012 to correct "long face syndrome".

Since then I have developed TMJD symptoms such as popping and clicking, as well as muscle soreness.

I have also stopped taking hormonal birth control contraceptive pills.

I am afraid that the hormonal changes of discontinuing oral contraceptives and the TMJD symptoms may mean I have developed condylar resorption after my jaw surgery.

Can you help me understand whether this is happening or not?

Thank you very much.
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Well clicking and popping sensation does not exactly indicate that there is condylar resorption..

There can be a number of other symptoms.

Please provide following details..

1.Is your mouth opening normal as before or is it reducing with time?
2.Do you find any changes in facial profile like chin moving backwards or receding?
3.Is there any changes in your bite or occlusion?
4.Are your front teeth showing any increased gap between upper and lower teeth overtime?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.

Follow-up: Do TMJ symptoms indicate the development of condylar resorption after a jaw surgery? 19 minutes later
Hi again. I have not noticed any of the change you have listed.

Does this mean condylar resorption is not likely for me?

Is this something I should look out for? How common is it for women my age with my history of long face syndrome and double jaw surgery? Do I need to be wary of regulating my hormones to avoid it?

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not necessary to get resorption.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Although there are chances of condylar resorption after jaw surgery involving jaw joints but it is not always necessary..

If you still doubt you should get a Panoramic x ray done to rule out the exact condition of the jaw joints..

Hope this helps..

Regards..

Follow-up: Do TMJ symptoms indicate the development of condylar resorption after a jaw surgery? 2 hours later
Can you look at the report I just uploaded called 0_Custom Printout and tell me if these X-rays look normal or if they look like I have condylar resorption?

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes condyles are fine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
I have viewed the x ray and the condyles are appearing very much fine..
Do not worry as there is no resorption seen..

Regards..

Follow-up: Do TMJ symptoms indicate the development of condylar resorption after a jaw surgery? 6 hours later
Thank you so, so, so, so much!!!!

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please rate the answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
If your query is resolved please give a five star rating and write a positive review as a token of appreciation..

Regards..