Do Prednisone tablet show the same effects of Thyroid hormones?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hi my question is in regards to predosoine . I learned that this can mimic your thyroid hormones . before I was put on it I would stay tired and had trouble thinking clearly and just felt on edge alot when I was given this for bronchitis and asthma I felt like the old me had engery and was more calmer and thinking a lot better then I finished the meds and now I am back to the way I was before could this just be from the meds or could it be my thyroid hormones are messed up
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Prednisone and thyroxine are both hormones but they work differently.

I follow what you are saying though.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I order the following tests in addition to a thorough physical examination:

CBC
CMP
TSH
Free T4Serum 25 hydroxy Vitamin D

These blood tests do not require fasting and can be done at any time of the day or night.
They will give an idea of overall health and your current thyroid status as well.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 9 minutes later
k thank u so much for the help
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Best wishes for good health