Do Plavix and white willow extract interact with each other?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: does Plavix and white willow extract interact?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you'll have increased risk for bleeding

Detailed Answer:

plavix and willow extract contain antiplatelet substances. Plavix protects your blood vessels by reducing the platelet function towards the clot formation. Salicylics that are contained in willow extracts do the same thing. Using both provides more cardiovascular protection but increases your risk for bleeding.

I would suggest avoiding using it. If your cardiologist decides that you should take salicylics then acetylsalicylic acid tablets would be better because their dosage (and the expected side effects) are known. The extracts may have variable quantities of the active substance and thus more unpredictable results.

I hope I've helped!
Contact me again, if you'd like any clarification.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis