Do Nabumetone and Motrin cause kidney damage?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
I have been given a prescription for nabumetone 750 mg for a bad sciatica outbreak. Is this any better than 4 200mg Motrin?. Will either/ both damage my kidneys?
I'm a healthy 63 year old active woman on no other medication. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both are similar in efficacy and side effects against the kidney. Switch to

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Both Nabumetone and Motrin are NSAIDs and can cause kidney damage.

In the literature, the efficacy of Nabumetone is similar to Motrin.

It is advisable to also take Tablet Pregabalin 75mg with Methylcobalamine combination to help with the sciatica. This is very useful in relief from nerve pain.

Avoid bending forwards, lifting heavy weights. A safer Medicine like Tablet Paracetamol or Acetaminophen 1000mg twice a day will be useful.

Apply hot water bag to the painful regions Fforest excellent relief.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 hours later
Thank you. I will follow these suggestions. I was given a short course of prednisone, which seemed to provide relief, but stopped when finished. Do you suggest a cortisone shot? Also, does massage ever help in this situation?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroid shot gives relief for usually upto 3 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Cortisone shot can provide relief for upto 3 months. You can get it done every 3 months for upto 3 times to avoid any potential side effects due to chronic use.

Kindly follow the precautions for good relief.

You can consult me at any time.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 15 minutes later
What is your opinion on the massage question?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Massage lower back, hamstrings and calves

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Yes. Massage is very useful to relieve the muscle spasm. I would definitely recommend it. A careful lower back massage and hamstrings and calls massage will be fruitful.

Also combine it with hot water bag application for excellent relief.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj