Do I need to shave my chest before an echocardiogram?
You can be asked to shave if your chest is quite hairy
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.
The answer to this question depends on how hairy your chest is. An electrolyte gel is applied between the transducer and the skin of your chest while performing an echocardiogram. If you have more hair on your chest, they impede the signals between the transducer and the chest and therefore you might be advised to shave your chest.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for severe loose motion
- Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...
- Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain
- Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?
- What causes unusual sweating?
- Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS
- What are the side effects of Superglue injection?
- Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth
- Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?
- Suggest treatment for severe constipation