Do Cortizone or Paroxetine cause lumps in the breasts?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi! Last month I started taking Paroxetine, first 20, then 40 mgs per day.

Then I flew to my Mom in California, and on the 21st had a severe allergic reaction to cilantro, which your group helped me with.
I went to urgent care the following day in Palm XXXXXXX and they gave me a shot of cortizone.

I was sleepy and lethargic since my return.

Last Sunday, the 27th, I spotted a firm lump in my breast, which was like a backed up pimple, with a larger cyst under it- about the size of a large chocolate covered cherry.
I have been gently using hot packs and patting on Dr. Brawn's apple cider vinegar, and have drawn out some white pus and hardened white pimple material.
Now the size has diminished to 1/3, about the size of a large sized pea.
However, there are also 5 little tiny pimples on the same breast.

I am cystic. When put on Pepcid, 30+ years ago,I got lumps all over my breasts. The ob/gyn said it was the Pepcid, and proscribed a better drug.

So, do cortizone or Paroxetine cause lumps in the breasts?

If it decreases sexual urges, does that mean there is or isn't an interaction with estrogen or progesterone?
I am 56, stopped bleeding several years ago, but still have hot/cold flashes, not always but usually at night. I still ovulate, however! I have zero energy.
Any recommendations you can make would be gratefully received. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Paroxetine can cause reduced libido

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. Paroxetine is an antidepressant with serotonergic, anticholinergic effects. The drug is known to cause reduction of libido as side effect. Anorgasmia, reduced desire etc are common side effects in high doses. The dose you are taking is high and is the probable reason for your symptoms.

Paroxetine is also known to have some estrogenoc effects and thus can cause breast lumps. If the lump doesn't subsidie with treatment then please consult a doctor for help.

Thanks, hope this helps, please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.