Do Cipro and Flagyl help in treating diverticulitis?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Dr. Rynne,
I have been in the medical field as a medical assistant and now serve as a medical office manager (30+ years experience). I'm writing because I am so worried about my best friend, age 64-1/2, white diabetic female (Italian), thalacemia minima, hx of peritonitis (age 15 with 2-week hospitalization), s/p hysterectomy due to cervical cancer, hx of kidney stones (3 passed over 10 years), high blood pressure x 20 years on lisinopril. Also smoker (1/3-1/2 pack daily) x 30 years. She was admitted into the ER almost 2 days ago because of severe abdominal cramping, burning, lower back pain and pelvic pain. She thought it was another stone pass. She was given Toradol I.V. but KUB and CT scan of abdomen demonstrated diverticulitis. She was given Rx for Cipro and Flagyl to be taken together bid. However, her symptoms only increased, especially the pelvic pain. She had a fever last night, chills. She cannot seem to hold anything down, although she just reported being able to sip slowly on broth and hold down a little bit of apple sauce. I have begged her to go because she is getting weaker by the hour, but she won't. Her glucose readings, despite having no food, are in the high 90s. She normally registers low 70s-mid 80s even after meals! She said she'll just wait until the morning to go. She is now so pale. Her mother (my Godmother) and I are afraid time is not on her side. She would listen to physician. Please help. I will show your answer to her.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hospitalize her as soon as possible.

Detailed Answer:

Greetings from Dr.Divakara. P. I understand you wished for Dr. Rynne's opinion. However as Dr. Rynne isn't available at this moment and the concern needs immediate attention, I will choose to answer it.

Well Diverticulitis will take time (3-5 days ) to get cured but if she is on Cipro and Flagyl tablets then the healing may get delayed as she may not tolerate the tablets and vomit it out.

Also the more she vomits she will be going in for dehydration which affects the kidneys and if neglected can turn into kidney failure.

Also persistence of Pain indicates that Cipro/Flagyl is not working and she may require a different combination of Antibiotic ( Amikacin+ Ornidazole ). She also needs certain blood tests to check the severity of infection and to check her electrolyte and kidney status which if deranged has to be corrected.

All these factors indicate she needs to get hospitalized as soon as possible. Kindly convey this message to her.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Divakara