Do Bupropion, Sertraline, and Nadolol cause hair loss?

Posted on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: WHAT PRESCRIPTION DRUGS CAUSE HAIR LOSS?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bupropion, Sertraline, and Nadolol can all cause hair loss.

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately 3 of the meds you are taking have the potential for causing hair loss.

Sertraline is an SSRI and all of the SSRIs have the potential for hair loss. However some (limited - 1 study) research showed that switching to a different antidepressant even in the same class can reverse this.

Nadolol has a listed side effect of hair loss and hair thinning.

Bupropion - hair loss from Bupropion is cited in the literature from it's manufacturing company as "infrequent" at 1 in 100 to 1 in 1000, but in reality it may be more frequent.

Low dose aspirin: this appears to be safe regarding hair loss.

I'm sorry so many of the meds you are taking have this potential - in particular Sertraline. It may be difficult to pin point which of your meds may be causing hair loss just from the literature, but I hope this information helps you.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
WHAT ANTIDEPRESANT DOES NOT CAUSE HAIR LOSS?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
They all have the potential for hair loss.

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately all antidepressants, of all classes, have the potential for hair loss.

I do not know how long you have been on these meds. Sometimes hair loss can happen after a med change, but sometimes a change of medications, even within the same class of antidepressant, can be helpful.

If it is a psychiatrist who is prescribing your antidepressants, I would advise talking with him or her as they may have certain antidepressants in mind for you. Otherwise, I think it would be wise to see a dermatologist at this point, because you are also on a beta blocker (Nadolol) and this too can cause hair loss. The dermatologist may be able to recommend what would be most favorable to your primary doctor, given the complexity of all of these medications with the potential for hair loss.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh