Do Azithromycin and Amoxicillin help in preventing syphilis?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Received unprotected oral from a prostitute. 7 days after exposure I took 2gram of azithromycin. 9 days after exposure I took 500 mg amoxicilin 2 a day for 8 days. If I was exposed to syphilis would the antibiotics I took prevent me from catching syphilis?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The best would be Benzathine penicillin G.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the possibility of syphilis after the oral sex. After completely analyzing your query your chances of acquiring syphilis are less.

In general syphilis is now one of the less commonly seen Sexually transmitted infection. It is one of the STDs which has become lowered I last few decades. We very less often see this disease as were seen almost two to three decades back.

In general we recommend a single dose of benzathine penicillin G 2.4 million unit intramuscularly in those who have had contact with a person suffering from syphilis as a prophylactic dose. But for those who have had just a possibility then doxycycline is used as an alternative drug. Though azithromycin is also used but the best measure is benzathine penicillin.

But if you really feel that the female was suffering from syphilis then I suggest you to meet your doctor and take a prophylactic dose of benzathine penicillin G 2.4 million unit intramuscularly as a single dose.

I hope it helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 37 minutes later
Thanks. I do not know if she had syphils or not. Just was taking the medicine for precaution. I was told taking 7 days of amoxixilin 500 mg twice daily would also prevent syphilis from developing. Do you agree with this?
I started the amoxicilin 9 days after possible exposure.
I am hoping that the azithromycin or amoxicillin would have prevented me from getting syphilis.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dose of Azithromycin was sufficient to prevent the infection.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for your further follow up.

In my opinion you do not require any further treatment. Though in general we recommend a single dose of benzathine penicillin G for the possible infection. As per my experience the dose of Azithromycin was sufficient to prevent the infection. As the infective organism of syphilis is quite delicate and responsive to the treatment so even if you got any infection then must had been cleared by the dose you have taken.

I hope this relaxes you mind from possible infection with syphilis.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Thanks. Last question. Wouldn't the 7 day treatment of amoxicilin (which is a generic form of penicilin?) also have cleared up or prevented the infection if I started the treatment with in 9 days of possible exposure?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Amoxicillin will have additive effect to clear the infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for posting your further concern.

The further course of amoxycillin will help in the clearance of remaining infective organisms if any. So it would have an additional additive effect with azithromycin. So allay all your fears and relax.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases