Dizziness, off balance. Brain tumor?

Dr. Shiva Kumar R

Neurologist

Posted on Sun, 27 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: I recently went to the ER for some onset of dizziness that hit me out of no where. Felt off balance and drunk. This was four days ago and still feel the same. What could have caused this and how long does it last? Just wanted to make sure it was no life threatening brain tumor or hemmorage or something like that.
Follow up: Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 minutes later
The ER DR did blood work and that was normal. She looked in my eyes with a light and ears. She checked my reflexes and strength and all that was normal. But i could NOT walk a straight line. It was like I was really drunk. I had no head aches until now, no double vision, no ringing in ears.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

First episode of dizziness has many causes.

Usually it is due to problems in the inner ear or the connections of the inner ear with the brain.

Based on the information provided to me by you i feel its a vertigo due to problem in the ear.

It is not suggestive of brain tumor or hemorrhage.

Balance is maintained by inner ear and cerebellum. This explains your inability to walk on a straight line.

If symptoms recur inspite of using the above medications consult Neurologist for a condition called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).

This is a self limiting problem and can be cured with simple maneuver's (Epley's) and exercises. I feel at this moment scan of the brain is not required.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Follow up: Dr. Shiva Kumar R 10 hours later
So I do not present any symptoms that would call for a brain scan. I guess I am a worrier about a tumor or something.

I did go to a GP and she said I may had had some inflammation of the inner ear due to a earlier bout of Herpes Zostra. She said this inflammation should subside in time and regain my normal balance. She said this could take 7-14 days. I guess I am being to optamistic to wake up 4 days later and be cured like it never happened right? This takes some time for the brain and balance to "balance" itself out?
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 12 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me.

I again confirm that you do not need any brain scan for the present problem.

It will take 2-3 weeks for the problem to settle down.

Your body needs time to adjust.

Just follow your GP advise for Herpes Zoster infection and you will recover fully in 15-20 days.

Bye