Dizziness, low BP, HIV ICMA test, HIV negative, viral load undetectable

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi, i have been feeling dizzy all the time. sometime my blood pressure is 95/59. do you think that what causing low cd 4 count as well. i have had hiv tests done. My HIV ICMA test(screening) test was reactive but western blot was negative. my doctor told me that means i am HIV negative. I did viral load and it came out undetectable.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. The few important causes of dizziness which need to be looked into are:

1)     BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) is caused by problems in the inner ear. Its symptoms are repeated episodes of positional vertigo which is a spinning sensation caused by changes in the position of the head.

2)     The second possibility is of Meniere’s disease in which dizziness when lying down is also accompanied with hearing loss, roaring in ears and tinnitus or loud ringing noises in both the ears.

3)     The third possibility is of anxiety and stress or cervical spine problems which can be caused by wrong ways of sitting like inappropriate position while using the computer.

Constant tiredness and fatigue can be due to anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, hypothyroidism, disorders of the hypothalamus & diabetes mellitus.

My suggestion would be to get an ENT examination done from an ENT specialist to rule out BPPV and Meniere’s disease, blood count, Hemoglobin levels and thyroid function tests done along with fasting blood sugar levels.

The possibility of HIV is not there once the western blot test has come out as negative. This is a test which is very specific for the HIV.

The CD4 count has got nothing to do with the blood pressure. It is a marker of one’s immunity. Healthy eating habits, regular exercise & a good night’s sleep are the best ways to improve one’s immunity.

Please do consult a physician also. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Dr. Jasvinder Singh