Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Distended abdomen, feel continuous pressure on sternum. Cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6937 Questions
I am a male, 85 years of age. Have had a distended abdomen for about 3 years and recently have felt continuous pressure on the sternum/rib cage. No pain, just discomfort.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

A distended abdomen can occur due to indigestion causing fullness and bloating.
A course of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) can be taken.

If the symptoms do not relieve, you need to consult a gastroenterologist for clinical examination and investigations. H pylori infection also causes such symptoms. After confirmation of the infection, antibiotics can be started.

Continuous pressure on the sternum/ rib cage can be due to some bony or soft tissue pathology.
An X-ray chest can be done initially to find out the cause.

Consult your doctor for clinical examination and investigations.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor