Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Dislocated left hip, fracture on femoral head. On osteo surbex medication. Wants to do MRI. Chances of getting arthritis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10463 Questions
Hi Doc,

I met with a bus accident and had dislocated my left hip. Closed reduction was performed and I am starting to walk now after a month. There was a fracture at the femoral head and doctor avoided to pin it to avoid AVN and said that the part of the head which had come out wont interfere with the socket joint movement. My question is what are the chances of getting arthritis due to this fracture. Is there any way to improve the cartilage (any medication)? My age is 26. Are there any things I can do to avoid arthritis in the future? Do I need to go for an MRI to determine if there is an articular cartilage damage? Are glucosamine and chondroitin supplements useful. I am currently just on Osteo Surbex Tablet.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I will try to answer your queries one by one.
1. If the fracture of the femoral head is not in the weight bearing area of the head of the femur then the chances of developing arthritis in future are minimum. An evaluation by an orthopedician will help in determining this.
2. To improve the cartilage, you can take supplements of glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin after consulting with your treating doctor.
3. If the fracture site is in the weight bearing area then regular physiotherapy might delay the development of arthritis.
4.You can get an MRI done to find out any articular cartilage damage.
You can continue taking osteo surbex tablets as advised by your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor