Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Discovered to have stone in gall bladder and wall is thick. Have pain. Suggest medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I am 50 years old, lately discovered that I have a stone in the gallbladder and the wall is thick, I have pain from time to time , the doctor I saw said tat it must be removed. I don't eat fat at all and I am taking care of what I eat, but the pain comes and goes, so is there any medication as. Am afraid to do the operation. Thanks
When I take antibiotic , the pain disappear for 2 weeks and then it comes back.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Gallbladder pain can come in many different intensities. As you know, fatty foods can trigger an attack of pain. In cour case since you are having repeated episodes of pain, the standard of care is to remove the gallbladder. This is one of the most routine surgeries performed by a gneral surgeon and has a low complication rate.

Antibiotics for some reason help in your case but we do not want to continue to exposue you to courses of antibiotics as this does increase the risk of development of resistant bacteria.

There are no reliable medications which would resolve your issue which is why I agree with your doctor that removing the gallbladder is the most sensible option.

Thanks again for the query. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor