Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Discovered soft spot. Had weak spells. Faint while standing. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I am 55 year old woman who just this week discovered a soft spot about the size of a quarter in same location as a baby's soft spot is....I've never noticed this before. I have no symptoms that I've noticed, other than in the last few months I've had occasional weak spells, and in the last couple of weeks, I feel as if I'm going to faint when standing. I sit down and rest and it goes away. Should I be concerned? What could cause a sudden soft spot that's never been there as an adult?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood vessels, dehydration, trauma, etc.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I should let you know that what you are experiencing is not very common, but is encountered by doctor's during their practice. The few most common causes for the same are a development of a cluster of blood vessels, a post-traumatic effect of a direct injury, dehydration, etc. The bones in the skull of an adult are fused, and thus a soft spot cannot be anything related to parts that are below the skull (unlike in babies).

If I were your doctor I would order a MRI scan of your head just to make sure all is well, so that there is no serious cause for such a presentation. A few other blood investigations would also be required to check on your coagulation and lipid profile. For this reason I would urge you to please schedule an appointment with your doctor and go about the above investigations.

I do not think this should be anything serious, as most patient's who have presented in such a manner have had a simple and solvable solution to their presentation. I hope you found my response helpful . Please feel free to write back to me for further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor