Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Discomfort under ribs, nausea after eating. HIDA scan, x-ray and sonogram normal. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
had a HIDA scan last year. It took 90 minutes fro my gallbladder to fill with radioactive injection. cck eventually showed up after sips of water and walking around lab. Ejection fraction was 33 % and scan was reported as normal. Have constant right side discomfort under ribs in front and back, lots of nausea after eating. Had another hida scan today without cck, gallbaldder showed up after 60 minutes. Any ideas ??
xray, and sonogram last year were normal. had normal endoscopy, colonoscopy, and capsule endoscopy.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Here are few facts you should know about GallBladder disease :

You can have gallbladder disease without gallstones and it may not even show up on a HIDA scan.

It's called acalculous gallbladder disease.

Sometimes microlithiasis (which won't show up on any scan) and sludge are the problem.

symptoms may be similar to gallbladder disease.

Your HIDA Scan on both instances is normal

Considering the fact that xray, and sonogram last year were normal. And you had normal endoscopy, Colonoscopy, and capsule endoscopy - It seems more likely that you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Hope this helps

If you have any doubts, get back to me

Get well soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor