Discomfort in abdomen & below ribs, belching after food, trembling sensation in abdomen, have gallstones. Gall bladder disease?

Posted on Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have discomfort in right upper abdomen that comes and goes, below (not under) ribs. Belching as though from great depths usually after food or sometimes randomly, a bit of acid and, most noticeably of all, a sort of trembling sensation that seems to be restricted to my abdomen. The latter drives me to seek warmth with a bath, hot water bottle or radiator which sometimes calms everything down. I do have gallstones as I was sent for u/s after presenting to GP with pain/nausea etc. Are these all symptoms of gallbladder disease? Is it possible to have a grumbling condition? I have never had outright biliary colic not felt 'excruciating agony' as it seems to be described. I am 60, female, non-smoker. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

You are right as these symptoms are suggestive of gall bladder disease due to gall stones. Gallbladder stones are solid particles that form from bile in the gallbladder.

Gallstones within the gallbladder usually do not cause problems. If they are many and are large, they may cause pain when the gallbladder contracts following a fatty meal.

They may also cause pain if they move out of the gallbladder. Symptoms usually include a dull pain in the right upper abdomen which may be grumbling or boring, nausea and vomiting, fever, bloating, and yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes.

Since you are having such symptoms hence surgical removal of the gallbladder is the best treatment for which you should consult a surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to me.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Jasvinder Singh