Discomfort in abdomen & below ribs, belching after food, trembling sensation in abdomen, have gallstones. Gall bladder disease?

Posted on Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have discomfort in right upper abdomen that comes and goes, below (not under) ribs. Belching as though from great depths usually after food or sometimes randomly, a bit of acid and, most noticeably of all, a sort of trembling sensation that seems to be restricted to my abdomen. The latter drives me to seek warmth with a bath, hot water bottle or radiator which sometimes calms everything down. I do have gallstones as I was sent for u/s after presenting to GP with pain/nausea etc. Are these all symptoms of gallbladder disease? Is it possible to have a grumbling condition? I have never had outright biliary colic not felt 'excruciating agony' as it seems to be described. I am 60, female, non-smoker. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

You are right as these symptoms are suggestive of gall bladder disease due to gall stones. Gallbladder stones are solid particles that form from bile in the gallbladder.

Gallstones within the gallbladder usually do not cause problems. If they are many and are large, they may cause pain when the gallbladder contracts following a fatty meal.

They may also cause pain if they move out of the gallbladder. Symptoms usually include a dull pain in the right upper abdomen which may be grumbling or boring, nausea and vomiting, fever, bloating, and yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes.

Since you are having such symptoms hence surgical removal of the gallbladder is the best treatment for which you should consult a surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to me.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 1578 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Gallbladder

doctor1 MD

I have swelling with a pea sized mass just below the right rib cage. I am 48 yrs old, 5 9 and weight about 184. If I touch the area,move just right...

doctor1 MD

i had doctors say my gallbladder needed to be taking out over 5 days in the hospital they changed their mind was on antibotics got better for a...

doctor1 MD

I had my gallbladder surgery in last september.When i had gallbladder stones,i was having some sort of ache on both sides under the ribs.Also i had...

doctor1 MD

I m 24 years old. I m have an appointment with a docter today about my gallbladder. Should a gallbladder be taken out? After only a few tests...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my upper right hand side of my chest, feel sick after eating, and get really hungry, and thirsty. Could this indicate esophageal...

doctor1 MD

I did ultrasound , doctor found few cholesterol polyps in gallbladder and fatty acids in liver . So as per him it is not dangerous. Only thing I...

doctor1 MD

Thank you. minor pain starting several months ago at my lower right rib area. over last week or two, the pain has increased but doesn't hurt unless...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

191 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction