Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Discectomy done for bulging discs. Have had minimal relief from pain. Looking for suggestion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
In 2008 I had an L4-L5, L5-S1 discetomy for two bulding discs. I have had minimal relief in the pain and mobility. The question that I have is are there any new breakthroughs in surgical procedures or anything on the horizon that would show a benefit to decreasing, or reversing, pain in the lower back?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Discectomy is the most commonly used procedure for relief from back pain in case of bulging discs.
In case the back pain is persistent, you can consult a neurosurgeon and he may consider laminectomy to provide relief. An MRI scan will help in deciding whether any further surgery is required in your case or not.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor