Disc prolapse in cervical and lumbar spine. Getting headaches, blurred vision and vomiting. Concerned

Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Question: Had epidural injections about 6 weeks ago them a discogram about 4 weeks later. I have heations inC5-6-7 also have rupture at L-3-4 wth fissures L-2-3 WAS the pain generating disc at discogram. Also have DDD. I jad L5S1 fused in April And spinal stenosis I'm there somewhere in the mix
I am awaiting a referral to Stanford. This last weds I started getting severe frontal left sided headaches with blurred double vision and vomiting. I feel ok in the morning but by early afternoon it all sets in. My mother thinks I should call ambulance but I think it can wait until Wednesday after holiday
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 3 hours later
You have disc prolapse in cervical and lumbar spine which can cause neck and back pain. Your current symptoms may be due to one of the following reasons.
a. Headache due to spinal leak is usually postural and get worsens in upright position and it relieves in lying down position.
b. Your current medication includes orthocyclene which may causes nausea and vomiting.
c. Also metformin sometimes causes hypoglycemia if your diet is not proper which can lead to headache and dizziness like symptoms.
These things could contribute alone or together to cause your symptoms.
Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli