Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Dimpling, inverted nipple, breast pain, shape change, smooth immovable lump. Breast cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
Hi, i had never done a self breast exam before untill about 3 months ago, when i did i found my breasts were really lumpy. Being only 16 i didnt know much about breast cancer so i did some research on the internet but i came to the conclusion i have fibrocystic breasts and left it at that. But the past month and a half i have noticed some symptoms of breast cancer (dimpling, slightly inverted nipple, breast pain, change in shape) and about 2 weeks ago i found a large solid smooth lump XXXXXXX inside my right breast that does not move! Im really scared i have breast cancer and its literually all i can think about, i have no idea how to talk to my mum about it and im terrified of going to the doctor about it. Do you think i have BC?

Id really appreciate it if someone could give me an anwser.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Its good that you are conscious about your breast health at such an young age. However, teenagers have a generalized lumpy feel in their breasts (due to hormonal effects) and it is normal. Some degree of pain, especially during the periods is also pretty normal. However, the dimpling or inverted nipple you are talking of are probably non-significant. If the solid smooth lump is truly there (apart from the generalized lumpy feel), then in all probability it could be a benign lump (not cancer).

That is why breast self examination is not recommended before age 20 years. Hence I feel that you have no reason to get worried so much.

Breast cancer in teenage years is rare but its better to exclude the possibility when in doubt.

To get this thing out of your mind, you need consultation with a doctor. Get the detailed physical examination and investigation like Ultrasound of breast.

The best way to get about it is to talk to your mother. She should be the best person to approach. Do not mention as you are scared of possibility of breast cancer. Just say that you are having some breast problems which are not uncommon at this age and needs to be investigated.

Hope I have answered your queries.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor