Dilation and curettage done. Had unprotected sex. Started getting heavy bleeding. Is this normal?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. I was pregnant and turned out to be a blighted ovum.i took 2 doses of misoprostol and they didn't work so then I had 2 D&C's because the first one was not completed properly. After the 2nd D&C I got my period two weeks after. Then again a month later on schedule. I was not due to have my period until next week Thursday but I just got it yesterday. So 6 days early. We had intercourse on XXXXXXX 1st and XXXXXXX 9th. Both times he did not pull out. The bleeding started out of nowhere. Light cramping and a little brown. Today however seems a little heavier and more bright red. I this normal?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.I have gone through your past history in details.

According to history,your period started on 18th January and bleeding is heavy with more bright red. As per calculation,your ovulation occurred around 4th January. Post ovulation ovum can survive 24-36 hrs and after ejaculation sperm can survive 3-5 days inside female genital tract. As you were involved in sex on 1st & 9th January (both days within fertile period), there is high possibility of being conceived. Hence, bright red bleeding does not suggest normal thing. But it suggests early implantation bleeding or sign of miscarriage.

Therefore, it is better to do a Ultrasonography (USG) for lower abdomen or Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) to rule out the viability of the fetus and extent of miscarriage. TVS is superior in this case.

You may need Micronised Progesterone Tablet or Depot injection combined with Tranexamic acid to prevent miscarriage and support pregnancy. But these treatments are not always 100% effective.

Please consult with your gynecologist and take suggestive measures according to your test result

Do following things to prevent miscarriage:
1) Complete Bed Rest with foot end elevation by pillow preferably
2) Take Folic acid supplements and Protein XXXXXXX diet.
3) Avoid long journey/heavy work/stepping uneven surface/high heel shoe.
4) Avoid stress/anxiety/emotional upset & maintain personal hygiene.
5) Drink more water and eat leafy vegetables/ fruits.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.
Dr Soumen

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later
So I can be going through a miscarriage this early on? I'm concerned that maybe I have issues with keeping a pregnancy and this worries me. We are newly married and I feel very disconnected from my body. I don't know what is normal anymore. I have always been on schedule with my periods and I was on the birth control pill up until XXXXXXX 2011. Is it possible for our cycles to change and it is possible to meninstrate a week early?

Can having a D&C cause change in a cycle or once you have had one everything should go back to normal?

My first D&C was preformed with no anesthetic an was extremely painful. I ended up in the ER a week later for an emergency D&C because I still had retained product which the first OBGYN did not complete. The second one was performed in hospital with a full anesthetic and done properly.

Should I have tests done to see if I have fertility problems. My blood type is O+. I also have a cyst on my right ovary but the last two cycles I have felty ovulation in my left side. I never use to feel it before I had the miscarriage, so I'm not sure if that's a new thing or if I'm still healing internally.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

I will give answer according to your question.

1) It seems to early implantation bleeding (started 7-10 days before due date) and leads to miscarriage again.

2) Yes, menstrual cycle may be irregular (early or delayed) and depends on several factors like stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, thyroid problem, psychological factors, overweight or extreme weight loss etc. But in your case, it is not likely to be associated with above factor. Here you need to confirm product of conception by Ultrasound.

3) Following D & C, next 1-2 cycle may be irregular but after that, period becomes normal as like previous in most women. Therefore, one should start to plan for conceiving after 3 cycle at least after regularization of period.

4) You should have to undergo for several investigations to rule out causes of recurrent miscarriage. These includes TORCH profile, Blood gr & Rh typing of your husband also (to check Rh incompatibility), Thyroid profile, Blood sugar (PPBS), Test for chromosomal abnormality, Progesterone level etc. Intake of Folic acid & Vit-E supplements for at least 3 months in preconception period is very much helpful. Following D & C,uterine endometrium heal up automatically. So don't worry about this thing and follow suggestive measures as described earlier.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Take care of yourself.

Dr Soumen