Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Difficulty urinating, felt bloated later. Had macrobid. Will it complicate on travel? Other tests?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 47 Questions
I am a 63 year old woman with no prior history of UTIs. In fact, I hadn't even realized that I might have one when about 6-7 weeks ago I felt urgency to urinate and just drops of urine came out for the several times I tried. Later that evening, I drank plenty of water and urinated normally, which I did for the next two weeks. Then it happened again. Same issue, and it resolved itself in about 24 hours. The same thing started happening with increased frequency, and I felt bloated and frustrated by my non-productive trips to the bathroom. The situation always seemed to resolve itself within a day. I am now planning a trip out of the country on Monday for a week and thought I'd better see a doctor in case this gets worse. I went to a walk in clinic and was provided with a prescription of Macrobid, which I started taking yesterday. I didn't have constant sy,mptoms before, so I'm not sure if it's working. My question relates to my fear that I did not respond to this in a timely manner - could there be complications? What should I look for? Everything I read seems to indicate that you have to treat a UTI quickly, but I fear I've left it too long (as I hadn't recognized it and also felt no real pain and transient discomfort.) Should I be worried?
Thanks you.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 7 hours later

I understand your health concern. Don’t worry. It is easy to treat simple urine routine, culture and ultrasound of KUB (kidney, ureters, urinary bladder) region /residual volume done.

Your local doctor can decide about appropriate antibiotic as per your urine culture report.

Drink lots of water, maintain good personal hygiene, and use cotton undergarments.

Also get your blood sugar tested.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor