Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Difficulty in walking due to chronic leg pain and tightness in muscles. Painful to stand. Suggest any exercises to get rid of pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 193 Questions
I suffer with chronic leg pain I find walking very difficult, my balance is not good the muscles in my lower legs are very tight I do get back pain normally when bending over. my knees are also very painful and I find standing up from sitting down very painful but trying to get up from kneeling or crouching is almost impossible. I am tall 5ft 11' and weigh approx. 78kgs. is there any exercise that I can do whilst waiting for a MRI scan and various neurological tests. when I walk I'm ok for a short distance then my left leg starts to drag and my balance goes.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Knee flexion, calf and thigh muscle massage, neuro

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

There are numerous exercises that you can do. However, it shall depend on the intensity and the gravity of symptoms. Careful flexing and extension at the level of the knees is important. massage the muscles of the thigh and the calf muscles is also very important. The opinion and expertise of a physiotherapist shall be very useful, even after consultation with the neurologist. It is important to note that certain very intense exercises should be avoided. Reason why the opinion of a physiotherapist should be seriously sought for.

It might be necessary also to get tested for blood Calcium levels, levels of Magnesium. It is not rare to experience severe cramping symptoms simply due to lack of some of these micronutrients. A balanced diet, XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables, Vitamin supplementation based on test results and special advise from physiotherapist, to me are key aspects, that should accompany the other recommendations of your neurologist.

Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have special concerns. I shall be humbled to contribute to your well being. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor