• question-icon

Difficulty from birth control medication side effects. Is there any other protection methods which can be used with condoms?

Posted on Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Birth Control
Question: My wife is getting really tired of all the side effects from her birth control medication. We use both the pill and a condom to prevent pregnancy. She is considering going off the pill to get rid of the annoying side effects, but is nervous because of the loss of that back up protection if the condom fails. Is there any other strategy we could use with condoms to ease her worries?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

If your wife wants to get rid of all the side effects of the oral contraceptives, she can do so by stopping the pills.

To have an additional protection along with condoms in case the condom fails, she can use a vaginal spermicidal gel locally. Vaginal spermicides are available in several forms: spermicidal jelly, cream, foam, tablets, suppositories, sponge and film. Spermicide is inserted into the vagina just before sexual intercourse to prevent pregnancy. Although spermicide is 71-85% effective when used by itself, it is most effective when used with another method of birth control (like a condom).

It is available over the counter as Advantage-S, Conceptrol, Crinone, Delfen Foam, etc.

When used along with condom, it gives a very good protection against pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN