Owl Image

Difference between flu and norovirus infection?

Question
HOW IS THE FLU DIFFERENT FROM THE NOROVIRUS?
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The Flu or influenza is caused by a group of RNA viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae. The most common symptoms are chills, fever, sore throat, myalgias and headache.
While the Norovirus is a Caliciviridae family virus, infection with this is characterized by nausea, forceful vomiting, watery diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
It can spread by feco-oral route that is by food and water as well as by repiratoroty droplets just like influenza.
I hope that answers your query.

Follow-up: Difference between flu and norovirus infection? 16 hours later
Dr. It appears what I had is the norvirus. The vomiting ceased the next day but the diarrhea lasted 2 more days. How long am I contagious? I volunteer at a XXXXXXX center and certainly don't want it spread there. I may have picked it up there

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back.
Norovirus is very contagious and spreads readily by food handling and contaminated water. It causes remarkable outbreaks in closed communities. If there are other patients with similar symptoms, then its possible that you contracted it there.
You should inform the authorities to isolate any such cases.
You can resume the work after 48hours of recovery from loose motions.
Virus is mainly shed in the vomiting and stools so make sure a safe disposal of these these. I hope the information would be helpful for you.
Wish you a great health!