Difference between alternative substance use disorder and traditional substance use disorders?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: What is the difference between alternative substance use disorder treatments versus traditional substance use disorders treatments? What are some examples?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 hours later
Alternative medicine also known as CAM (Complementary and Alternative Medicine) is fast developing as a scientific concept and lot of research is going on in this area. Such therapies are rapidly being proven effective, more so in the mental health arena. Eg: Alexanders technique, chiropractice, yoga, qyong, acupressure, St Jhons wort etc.
Traditional treatments are mostly allopathic treatments which is based on modern sciences. It has a known mechanism of way of action which can be proven scientifically. Alternative medicine doesn't have this benefit, however proves to be successful in evidence.
Right suggestion would be to go with both of them.
Wish you good health.