Diet plan for 4 month old baby?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: We have starting feeding our 4 month old baby boy with XXXXXXX puree and smashed banana. However, we are unsure about the amount to be fed. Till now, we have been giving him half of a big sized banana; but he seems to be wanting more. He is majorly on Nan pro 1 formula milk.

Please advise on the below points:
- Quantity & Number of times apple/banana can be fed in a day
- Quantity & Number of times Nestum rice can be fed in a day
- How do we plan his feed cycle i.e When to give what?

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 19 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for writing to us.
1.Did you breast feed your child?
2.Do you still breast feed your child?
3.Did any one advise you that you should only breastfeed your child upto 6 months?
Usually mothers should EXCLUSIVELY breast feed their child till 6 months of age. However you seem to have started supplemental feeds much earlier than needed. Usually tinned milk is to be given 3-4 times a day.
Solid foods should be given thrice daily which should include cereals only(Rice,dal,potato).
If these foods are tolerated then fruits should be started. A single banana and a XXXXXXX should suffice in a day,
Nestum rice can be given 3 times a day as mentioned earlier.
Plan:
1. Cereals 3 times in a day.
2.Fruits 2 times daily.
3.Tinned milk 3-4 times a day.
4.Other times, breast milk if possible.(Remember breast milk is the best milk for a baby)
If you have any further queries, do let me know.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your child good health.
Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli