Did not get BCG vaccine. Child 2 years now. Does it protect from leprosy? Should I get the vaccine now?
The prevalence of TB is more in Brazil. It is strongly advised to vaccinate both of your children against Tuberculosis if you are going to live in brazil.
It is true that the efficacy of BCG is less against pulmonary tuberculosis and more against severe forms of TB like TB meningitis.
The percentage of protection BCG vaccination offers ranges from 0 to 85 %.
Same group of bacterial species called Mycobacterium causes tuberculosis and Leprosy. However, the efficacy of BCG vaccine against Leprosy is questionable.
Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Did not get BCG vaccine. Child 2 years now. Does it protect from...
- Diabetes under control with diet, have tingling on toes and fingers. How...
- Kindly describe the food habits to be adopted for diabetic?
- Having blood suagar, what diet should I take?
- Took 70 u of short instead of 70u of Lantus. What should I do?
- Experiencing head cold, nosebleed and spit out blood after filler...
- What is the reason of person being diabetic at small age?
- Diagnosed with increased blood sugar level. Recommendation?
- Had total hip replacement surgery. Having severe pain since surgery....
- Having sneezing, hay fever, sore throat and hard to swallow. Feeling...