Did general blood work on Dec 18. Leukocyte Esterase(500) came

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Did general blood work on Dec 18. Leukocyte Esterase(500) came back high(Normal WBC and chemistry in blood work) As well as Erythrocytes came back HI. Doctor gave me antibiotics for 5 days(I had no UTI symptoms just frequent urination) After the course urine culture was done Dec 28, No growth found.
Had general chemistry done today, Again Erythrocytes and Leukocyte Esterase(25) back high. Doctor is closed for 2 days so i can't get in touch with him. I am very worried what could be the reason if not UTI. I really appreciate the input
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 0 minute later
Did general blood work on Dec 18. Leukocyte Esterase(500) came back high(Normal WBC and chemistry in blood work) As well as Erythrocytes came back HI. Doctor gave me antibiotics for 5 days(I had no UTI symptoms just frequent urination) After the course urine culture was done Dec 28, No growth found.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Uti still not fully treated

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I see the report you attached.
You had an UTI since you had lost of leukocytes in urine and also increased creatinine levels. The treatment has lowered the leukocytes so worked on UTI but UTI is still there since leukocytes are present 25.
I think you should have done uroculture the day 18 Dec before taking antibiotics.
You should wait for 10 days after finishing treatment to do another uroculture to recheck the bacterial growth because you are still under medications effects and results are not true.
The decreasing number of leukocytes from
Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Uti still not fully treated

Detailed Answer:

I see the report you attached.
Hope I have answered the question.
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. I am worried if this is something else than UTI. Is having high Erythrocytes is related to UTI? Doctor gave me Nitrofuran 100 mg for 5 days, The course ended on Dec 23. I did Urinalysis today(Dec 31) on 8th day. Should I take another round of antibiotics? Or just wait? My doctor is on holidays but i can get medicine from walk in clinic if needed.
I really appreciate your response.
I really appreciate your response.
Brief Answer:
Do another uroculture after three days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and thank you for asking again.
I don't recommend you to take another round of antibiotics.
Red blood cells in urine may be sign of kidney infection, stones or tumour.
Most probably you are having kidney infection since creatinine was elevated and you got better by antibiotic therapy.

I think you better do another urine culture after three days in order to take the right antibiotics that come out as results of uroculture .
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Brief Answer:
Do another uroculture after three days.

Detailed Answer:

Best regards.