Diarrhea with scarce stools, black specs in stools. Why is it happening?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have just had for a week some diarrea with scarce stools, and when examining I can see tiny little black things like specks in it. Is there anything I can do
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Change in your dietary habits can alter the functioning of the digestive system significantly.

The diarrhea that you had in the last week could be due either infection or alteration of the bacterial flora. The black particles like specks could be

1.     Non-digestible fiber products from your salads
2. May be due to intestinal infection.
3. Medication induced.

The exact cause can be determined by getting a stool examination done.

Therefore, I would suggest you to get a stool examination done and confirm the cause for it.

I hope this answers your query. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries.

With regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E