Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Diarrhea, bleeding, no pain, blood test largely alright. Why did the bleeding appear?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1985
Answered : 140 Questions
My Mother has had bad diahorrea for between 18 months to two years. She is 86. Suddenly, two weeks ago she passed a large amount of blood and had to go to hospital. She was advised to stop taking some diahorrea tablets she had been taking for ages. Since doing so the bleeding would APPEAR to have stopped and she looks in quite good health. She is eating normally and has not lost any weight. When she was examined she said she felt no pain. However, her blood test did not come back completely OK, although it was said to be "largely alright" but nevertheless she still has to go back to the hospital on Wednesday for further checks. Why the big bleed and what could it be please?

My sister is 62 and has had a sore throat which would not go away for months now and she has been given anti-biotic after antibiotic but none of them have worked. She has had a terrible immunity since being a child.

She has now been told she may need to have a camera put down the back of her throat to see what it is. She tells me she has been coughing up "scabs".

She will be seeing a consultant soon. Any idea what it could be please?

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 18 hours later

Thanks for contacting healthcare magic for your queries.

1. Common causes of bleeding per-rectum in elderly is diverteculae in colon or angiodysplasia in right side of colon. Though there can be other causes as well. A colonoscopy should be done to decide the cause of bleed in case of your mother. Without colonoscopy unfortunately it may not be possible to decide the cause of bleed.

2. As for your sister again it may be very difficult to conclude the cause of chronic cough. This will certainly require an endoscopic examination by a ENT specialist.

Hope your mother and sister get well soon.

Dr Dinesh Singal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor