Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Diagonised with a hair line fracture in elbow. What could be the reason for getting pain in shoulder?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 212 Questions
This is the diagnosis just relayed to me from the radiologist "right elbow demonstrates a hairline fx. through the proximal diaphysis of the humeral head XXXXXXX I've been an or nurse for 35 years and am very confused as to this location. I fell while running and landed on my right shoulder and elbow. Is this an elbow or shoulder; both are painful???
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 2 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.

I'm sorry you've injured your arm.

You're right: this is a nonsensical report. It sounds like the radiologist misspoke while reading your x-ray.

As you know, the diaphysis is the shaft of a bone: it's the region between the epiphysis, which are at either end of a long bone. A "proximal diaphysis" is the end of the shaft that's closest to the body -- or some other reference point, which must be designated for clarity.

Your x-ray could have been misread in several ways:
1. "Right elbow demonstrates a hairline fx through the proximal diaphysis of the RADIAL head" or
2. "Right elbow demonstrates a hairline fx through the DISTAL diaphysis of the HUMERUS" or
2. "Right SHOULDER demonstrates a hairline fx through the proximal diaphysis of the humeral head XXXXXXX

Your films need to be pulled and read again so you and your physician can proceed with treatment.

I hope that answers your question. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.

Get better soon!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor