Owl Image

Diagonised with a hair line fracture in elbow. What could be the reason for getting pain in shoulder?

Excellent

Question
This is the diagnosis just relayed to me from the radiologist "right elbow demonstrates a hairline fx. through the proximal diaphysis of the humeral head XXXXXXX I've been an or nurse for 35 years and am very confused as to this location. I fell while running and landed on my right shoulder and elbow. Is this an elbow or shoulder; both are painful???
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 2 hours later
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.

I'm sorry you've injured your arm.

You're right: this is a nonsensical report. It sounds like the radiologist misspoke while reading your x-ray.

As you know, the diaphysis is the shaft of a bone: it's the region between the epiphysis, which are at either end of a long bone. A "proximal diaphysis" is the end of the shaft that's closest to the body -- or some other reference point, which must be designated for clarity.

Your x-ray could have been misread in several ways:
1. "Right elbow demonstrates a hairline fx through the proximal diaphysis of the RADIAL head" or
2. "Right elbow demonstrates a hairline fx through the DISTAL diaphysis of the HUMERUS" or
2. "Right SHOULDER demonstrates a hairline fx through the proximal diaphysis of the humeral head XXXXXXX

Your films need to be pulled and read again so you and your physician can proceed with treatment.

I hope that answers your question. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.

Get better soon!