Diagnosis of coughing up white foam and belching?

Dr. Vidya KR

Posted on Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: A sixty-one year old slightly obese, (242 lbs at 5'10") with a negative medical history coughs up foam after a period of three to five minutes of short belches. No airway compromise or gastric pain is noted. The only discomfort is the pain associated with the uncontrollable short belches . This is the first episode of approximately one to three ounces of white foam being coughed up. Three weeks earlier, identical symptomatology presented without the foamy expectorant. Prior to the belching with eventual foaming, Chinese food was eaten along with Kentucky fried chicken. The most common differential diagnosis associated with these particular symptoms would most likely include???? Thanks for your assistance!!!!
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastro esophageal reflux. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Belching is the act of expelling air from the stomach through the mouth.Which is normal, There are a number of reasons why more air than normal may be swallowed, but the most common are: 1.eating or drinking too quickly 2.drinking carbonated drinks 3.anxiety Sometimes with air even some amount of acid in stomach also comes up to throat causing irritation resulting in cough and secretion production. Seen in few people, not to worry. Common causes for belching are: Aerophagia is the voluntary or involuntary swallowing of air. It can also occur when: talking and eating at the same time chewing gum sucking on hard candies drinking through a straw smoking wearing poorly fitted dentures having an anxiety attack hyperventilating breathing through your nose Foods Some foods and drinks can also cause more frequent belching. These include carbonated drinks, alcohol, and foods high in starch, sugar, or fiber that cause gas. Common culprits include beans, lentils, broccoli, peas, onions, cabbage, cauliflower, bananas, raisins, and whole-wheat bread. Medications There are a number of different medications that may lead to belching or to the disorders that cause belching. These may include acarbose (commonly used to treat type 2 diabetes), laxatives like lactulose and sorbitol, and pain medications like naproxen, ibuprofen, and aspirin (excessive use can lead to gastritis, a condition that can cause belching). Medical conditions like: GERD, gastritis, lactose intolerance, peptic ulcer, less common condition celiac disease Normal belching does not require any treatment. However, if belching becomes excessive, it is advisable to contact a doctor to explore possible conditions that may be causing the problem. Treatment will depend on the cause. Common medical conditions like gastro esophageal reflux, gastritis, H.pylori infection, peptic ulcer need to be evaluated. Belching is a natural action, but it can be controlled by avoiding items that are more likely to make you belch. If you want to prevent belching, you should: 1.Sit down and eat each meal slowly. 2.Avoid chewing gum or sucking on hard candies. 3.Avoid carbonated beverages and alcohol. 4.Stop consuming any foods or drinks that make belching more frequent. 5.Take probiotic supplements to aid in digestion. 6.Gastric acid secretion reducing medications like protan pump inhibitors (pantoprazole 4o mg once a day 30 min before breakfast)for a week is useful to reduce your symptom 7.Avoid anxiety-inducing situations that may cause hyperventilation. Salt warm water gargle after belching helps to clear gastric secretion in throat and there by cough. Hope this information helpful to you, feel free to ask further related queries, i will be glade to answer them. Wish you a good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E