Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Diagnoses with photodermatitis on lip. Should I be worried about MRSA?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 345 Questions
My son has been diagnoses with photodermatitis on his lip. He is now on his 2nd round of steroid pills. The first time the ER doc gave him IV antihistamines as well. Last night a "boil-like pimple" at the bottom of his lower lip erupted and a lot of puss and infection came out. My question is: Could his infection actually be MRSA? I myself contracted MRSA about 3 weeks ago from my 97-year-old mother-in-law who was hospitalized and then returned to her nursing home under hospice -- and ultimately died. Anyway, I was not aware that this sun poisoning would have a lesion; I thought it was just a swollen lip.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I am glad to assist and answer your queries until you get a satisfactory response.

Photo dermatitis doesn't present with any boils or infection. It just could be just a boil without any association with photo dermatitis.

I understand your concern regarding MRSA now, but don't worry; it is usually a diagnosis of exclusion where the boil doesn't respond to any antibiotic treatment. If symptoms do not resolve with antibiotics, he discharging pus can be cultured to rule out MRSA.

Currently I would recommend treating the boil with Bactroban cream, which can be applied twice a day for a week. In addition, I also suggest you to consult his treating doctor; he/she needs to assess the swelling to check if there are any more pus collection -- that are needed to be drained. Your son can also take tablet allegra for the swollen lips after discussing with his treating doctor.

As far as photodermatitis is concerned, application of cortisone lotion on it twice a day on any photodermatitis lesion will help in resolving it.

Hope my recommendations are helpful to you. Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor