Diagnosed with urinary tract infection. Prescribed with antibiotics. Suggestions

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor, We are currently in UK. My wife (We have a 1 year old baby, wife feeding baby, wife takes PTU 50 mg daily for hyperthyroid) had suffered from fever every 5 to 6 hours and severe shivering 10 days back. She took paracetamol which lowered fever but again it came. So we visited hospital the next day. She was admitted as her temperature was high 100 degree Fahrenheit and high blood pressure between 150 to 160. She then diagnosed with urinary tract infection, mixed in blood with c reactive protein of 300 and abnormal sodium, potassium, urea, creatinine. Doctor said it was very high where the normal value is around 10. Her kidney was checked with ultrasound and found normal. Initially for 1 day she was given trips for sodium salt and Amoxicillin, Gentamycin antibiotic via IV. Since the infection level did not come down also fever (varied between 36.5 celsius to 39 celsius) and shivering, Microbiologist changed the antibiotic to Cefromycin for the next 48 hours (thrice a day) which lowered the infection from 300 to 210 in 2 IV and further reduced it to 90 in 6 IV. Doctor then discharged her after 5 days in the hospital. She is currently taking Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin 500mg, Clavulanic acid 125mg) antibiotic (thrice a day) for 12 days. We are into 6 days, she got fever in the initial 3 days took paracetamol as doctor suggested and today fever once. She is feeling tiredness all the days. Is it normal planning to get blood tested after 12 days to check the infection. She can do household work etc. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: She can do work / follow up is needed Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic She is in good hands and the management is appropriate This is Urosepsis – severe infection of the urinary system / probably septicemia and subsequent developments. They have done a good job indeed…and she has made a remarkable recovery If the fever recurs and/or continues for more than 48 hours, she should see her Nephrologist or Urologist. Paracetamol is safe and symptomatic treatment for fever /It can be taken every 6 hours for a day or two, for symptomatic relief. Tests are generally repeated after 10 to 15 days / earlier, if there is a specific problem. If she could manage, she can do household work. There is no contraindication on medical grounds. She needs follow up – mostly to ensure recovery Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless