Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with ureaplasma parvum. Will it be spread orally?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Hi, I was diagnosed with ureaplasma parvum and I'm wondering if I can spread this to my partner orally? Me to him.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Yes, you can spread this infection to your partner through oral to genital contact and genital-genital contact ( which would definitely include unprotected sexual intercourse)
You would need to be treated with an oral antibiotic like tetracycline for 7 days. Till then, abstinence is the only way we can prevent the transmission of the infection. Even condoms are ineffective in preventing transmission of this.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with ureaplasma parvum. Will it be spread orally? 9 minutes later
Thank you. I have been prescribed for this.

Is it a guarantee that I would have transmitted it to my partner it oral to genital prior to the diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
There is actually no guarantee that you would have transmitted this infection to him, but the tricky part is that this infection does remain asymptomatic for a long time. So in all probability, you would have transmitted the infection. At this stage, ideally, your partner should be treated as well with the same antibiotic as well.
I hope that answers your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor