Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis with mild inflammation. Having chronic rectal pain. Why?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5764 Questions
I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis proctosigmoiditis initially, then last colonoscopy shows ulcerative proctitis with mild inflammation. I have chronic rectal pain, gi doctor says should not be having this pain with mild inflammation. Urogynecoa; logist found that have a rectal prolapse, was sent to colorectal surgeon who did a stapled hemorrhoidectomy for prolapsed XXXXXXX hemorrhoids. Still have rectal pain. Have you had any patients with this problem, it keeps me from going about daily life because of pain. It is a burning, hurting type of rectal pain, as if an open sore that is irritated. After the surgery 4 months ago, initially the pain was severe, had a flareup of my colitis, with numerous bathroom trips of bloody loose stool and mucous and the rectal pain is so bad, hurts more when sitting, but my left side and lower back hurts, have been on prednisone, apriso, flagyl and canasa suppositories. Could you tell me if colitis can cause this kind of rectal pain and what doctor should I see to try to find out a remedy for it.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anus inflammation is giving you pain.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Ulcerative colitis almost always affects rectum. And this has confirmed your last colonoscopy (proctitis is nothing more than anus inflammation). So this is the reason of your rectal pain. And not hemorrhoids for sure.
Colitis ulcerosa complication is a fistula between the rectum and the skin, rectum and urinary bladder and may more. There can be an abscess in the rectum area which can give you such pain as well.
Lower back pain can be associated with urinary tract inflammation.
To detect possible abscesses and fistulas, pelvis MRI should be done. Urine analysis seems to be necessary as well.
Please have this tests done and visit gastroenterologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor