Diagnosed with tonsil stones and prescribed with penicillin. Have ear pain. Worried if it turns to maniacal depressive hypochondria

Dr. Anshumala Singh

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Maniacal hipochondria

Before 4 months i had a feeling that i have something stuck in my throat that i cant spit it out... i went to a doctor and was diagnosed with tonsil stones . The doctor told me to gargle with salty water but it didnt help me.. so i went again and there was another doctor who said that it is tonsilitis and prescribe me penicilin ... it didnt helped also ... so i went again to third different doctor and it prescribe me another antibiotic witch caused diarhea for a whole month ... after all they decide that ENT specialist must to examine me ... so i get examined by ENT specialist he looked all over my mouth ears and nose , pressed everywhere in my neck and told me that it is a viral infection all over my throat not only in tonsils and i must to wait it will heal by it own ... i start to worry alot, everythimei check in internet i have some sympthoms for whole 4 months, i go to doctor everytime i notice lump or sore ... there is new ulcers , bumps i notice every day i even go to the emergency few times just for consultation ... i have ear pain in the both ears for few seconds somethimes ... feeling of scratching by something stuck in my throat one or two times blood in my spit every week and headaches in different areas ...i thing nonstop about oral cancers ... it turns on maniacal depressive hypochondria ... i dont know how can i stop worrying :((
I quit smoking because of fear before 4 months ago when ive got this feeling for first time , and i dont drink ... i dont have family members with serious illness history ...
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be prolonged oral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

After reading your complete history it appears that you have viral infection as suggested by your ENT SPECIALIST.The reason being that viral infections are recurrent in nature.

As you have visited ENT specialist many times and have already taken opinion, thus please do not worry and have faith.

In my view you must visit your dentist too. Please get your teeth,gums and tongue examined. Any prolonged infection or decay can definitely cause such symptoms that you have mentioned. In my view its better to get clinically evaluated once by your dental surgeon.

Now I must appreciate that you do not consume alcohol. Also you have quit smoking. These are aggravating factors in most of the oral infections.

Coming to your fear about cancer, I can only say that it is not cancer, because the symptoms of any cancer or tumor is very different from that you have mentioned.

Please be sure and relax, there is remedy for every problem. So why worry unnecessarily.

As you have also mentioned you are facing depression problems therefore please XXXXXXX your physician and discuss if you require any antidepressants or not.

Hope I have answered your query.
For further doubts please do not hesitate and let me know.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj