Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with toksymia during pregnancy. Tests after delivery could not find the amoeba. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 5918 Questions
I had an ameba 50 years ago. Since I was pregnant doctor for tropical diseases couldn't treat me for it.
Then in the 8th month of pregnancy I was diagnosed with toksymia, and was rushed to the hospital for c-section.
Baby and I have survived. Right after the birth of my baby, I had done a painful test for it, but I was told that they couldn't find the ameba. I am wondering if ameba is still existing in my system...?
I have been feeling for some years as if I were intoxicated and lightheaded.
That's why I would like know whether it effects me since, ameba was never treated....
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX for your query.

Amoeba is a protozoa, affecting intestines to give symptoms like diarrheoa, dysentry alternating with constipation. There is blood or mucus seen in the stools of the patient.

Sometime it remains asymptomatic for years as may be the case with you.
It keeps on surviving in & damaging gastrointestinal tract.
But it does not have any effect on blood pressure, the toxemia of pregnancy you had. They seem to be due to blood pressure
The amoeba affects liver, which can project as nausea or lightheaded feeling.

Following investigations can diagnose amoebiasis if it's still affecting your system
-Stools routine & microscopic test
-Serological tests to detect amoeba proteins in feces
-Serological tests to detect amoeba DNA in feces..
If it is not detected, then no need to worry. But even if it is detected, it can be taken care of with an advice of an expert Gastroenterologist.

I hope your query is answered well to satisfy you. I would be happy to help you for any further query you have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor