Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with strained ligaments. Have lump below fibula, moves while walking, painful. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
I had an ankle injury about 4 weeks back and at that point of time it was diagnosed as strained ligaments (The X XXXXXXX didn't show anything - no hairline fractures).
Now there is a hard lump that has formed below the fibula and above the heel. And the lump moves around the ankle while walking, which is very painful. The lump disappears if I press against it for 10 minutes but it reforms very quickly (2-3 minutes) once the pressure is relieved.

Could you please help me diagnose what it is and what I could do?
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Hi ! I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon.

I my opinion, your ankle had a capsular tear at the time of injury, which created a bursa around it with a communication with the joint cavity.

That is why it disappears while you press against it for 10 minutes. It is just like ganglion found in the tendon sheaths with a connection to the joint cavity usually in the wrist joint. This may give rise to pain while walking.

If your symptoms increase, then I would suggest you to visit an orthopaedic surgeon, who usually deals with this kind of pathology who may advise you for an MRI scan to confirm the diagnosis before deciding on further course of action.

I hope this will help you in further discussing with your doctor for the next course of action.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with strained ligaments. Have lump below fibula, moves while walking, painful. Suggest? 19 hours later
Hello Dr Shareef,

Thank you for your reply.

What is usually the next course of action for, different degrees if there are, Capsular Rupture? I live in UK and I can complete see my GP asking me to wait a few weeks and see if it aggravates or not before sending me for an MRI. Either ways I have gotten an appointment for day after tomorrow.

But in the meantime it may be nice to know what I could expect as a treatment. And in the meantime is there anything you would suggest me to do (except "PRICE")?

Thank you once again,
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 34 minutes later

Nice to hear from you again.

For the time being, I can suggest you to go for an ankle support system which are readily available in the open market.( I do not know about the marketing policy in UK). This may reduce your discomfort while walking. You may also go for some over the counter available anti inflammatory drugs to reduce the pain caused by inflammation of the lump.

If the diagnosis is confirmed, and the discomfort is increasing on walking, then your orhopedician may advise for some kind of operative intervention for you.This can be decided by him both by clinical examination of your ankle, the report of MRI if done, and your level of discomfort while performing normal walk.

I hope I have been able to clear your queries. If there is any more questions, please feel free to ask, otherwise you can end the discussion with grading of the same.

Thanks and good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with strained ligaments. Have lump below fibula, moves while walking, painful. Suggest? 42 minutes later
Thank you very much,
That was indeed very helpful :).

Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 minutes later
Thanks a lot. Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor