Diagnosed with stone in abdomen. Urine report shows pus cells 15/hpf. Is the count severe or mild?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Dear doc. Got my preliminary urine report. It shows pus cell 15/hpf. Is this count very very high or severe or mild. I have been diagnosed of stone in abdomen in an X-ray. Today the ultrasound will confirm. Could it be possible it's an std as I had sex a week ago couple of times but it was protected sex. Please help. I am so tensed and scared waiting for culture report. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not worry pus cells are due to kidney infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX I can very well understand your concern for pus cells in urine as well as for Sexually Transmitted Disease as a possible cause. After reading your query with diligence and interpreting and analyzing your whole situation, let me first reassure you that the pus cells are not due to any Sexually Transmitted infection or disease. Now you must be anxious to know the possible cause of the pus cells in urine. As per your history of stone in abdomen, the only cause is because of urinary tract infection by the stone problem which we call as urinary tract infection or UTI. TO explain you elaborately and medically- pus cells in urine can be because of mutiple causes. These pus cells are basically white blood cells which are present in urine whenever there is any infection from kidneys to ureter or in urinary bladder or urethra too. All these structures form the part of urinary tract. Whenever there is any stone in the urinary tract it has a tendency to cause mild to moderate or severe infection in the tract. This leads to white blood cells coming in the urine or also known as pus cells in laboratory analysis.. This is called as urinary tract infection or UTI. The interpretation for the same is as follows: - up to 10 pus cells (WBCs)/HPF- It means few cells and so mild infection - 11-40 pus cells (WBCs)/HPF- It means moderate number of cells and so moderate infection - More than 40 pus cells (WBCs)/HPF- It means many cells and so high infection So you can get from above that in your case it is moderate infection as you have around 15 cells. For this problem it will be better to consult a urologist for the infection as well as stone problem. DO not worry about culture report, it will be negative for any cause related to Sexually Transmitted Diseases. As protected sex gives 99.99% safety from all types of infections related to Sexually Transmitted Diseases. SO you have a clean status regarding the same. So relax yourself and get treated for your stone problem as well as urinary tract infection. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 minutes later
Dear doc. Attaching my lab reports. Please if u can go thru. I was so worried becasue i read somewhere that std is also a common cause of pus cell in urine. Thats y i am so worried !! Sorry for the trouble i am giving you. If also u could help clear this confusion for me !
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Repots confirms no STD Detailed Answer: Hello young man, Welcome to the forum again. I have seen your lab reports of urine analysis and gram's staining. These reports further confirms my statement of your clean status regarding any possibility of Sexually Transmitted infection in yourself. The most important of all is the gram's staining report. It tells us the presence of any possible bacteria in the urine whether related to Sexually Transmitted disease or to simple infection too. As the gram's staining report is negative and shows no gram negative intracellular or extracellular diplococci, so there is no possibility of any kind of infection by Sexually Transmitted mode or by other mode. It tells that your culture report will also be negative. Regarding rest of urine report it is slightly turbid because of presence of pus cells and the Red blood cells or RBCs can be present along with WBCs in stone problem. So kindly relax and get properly diagnosed for the location of stone. This problem is also simple can be treated very easily if the stone is of small size. Drink a lot of liquids and water which will flush your urinary tract and protect it from all types of infections. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not have any further queries then can close the query and rate the answer. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 14 minutes later
Sorry doc. Your answer on gram stain confuses me more. The clinic where i got the report said that gram stain report is positive as they detect pus cells 9-10/hpf. But also wrote that No gram negative intracellular or extracellular diplococci seen. So what do i make of it ?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kinldy see the answer below Detailed Answer: Hello young man, Kindly read the previous answer again. It tells us about the negative status of the bacteria only. Though the gram's is positive for pus cells or WBCs but is negative for any infection causing bacterias. The pus cells or WBCs and the bacterias are two different entities. So do not get confused from one another. Your lab person is correct in his interpretation of pus cells but same is true from my side which is negative for the infection causing bacterias. So do not worry and do not get confused form one another. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Hello doc. Last questions. The lab took my 2nd-3rd urine sample of the morning. I mean not the first one. Does that affect the report in any way. Is there a poosiblity that they will detect bacteria in culture report even though it is showing negative in gram stain report. My lab doc scared me saying that there is a possibility it may be std infection. Why would he say that ? Thats y i am so scared. And also my ultrasound came thru. There is 1.1cm stone in my left kidney. Now waiting for culture.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Stone needs proper treatment Detailed Answer: Hello young fellow, Regarding your further queries: - Any of the sample can be taken for examination whether 1st, 2nd or 3rd. It hardly makes a difference. More specifically it should be mid stream urine. It means the sample should be collected in the mid of urination and not as soon as you have started. So it is not a thing of concern to have reports changed of affected in any time sample. - Now for the culture part- Culture is the final answer to any sample. It grows up bacteria further even if very little number of bacteria is present in the urine sample. As per my experience, it will not show any bacterial growth related to sexually transmitted infection. So do not worry regarding the same too!! - There is lot of difference in laboratory experience and clinical experience. So as per my clinical experience there is NO possibility of STD infection. - As you have 11millimeter stone so it needs urgent attention. So do not worry and do give me a follow up for your culture report. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 hours later
Dear doc. As u predicted the urine culture report was negative. But the doc here is still waiting for the Pending results:Polymerase chain reaction test for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Trichomonas, Mycoplasma, Lymphogranuloma venereum. He isnt still giving a final word. Do u think i should still worry about the pcr result or i can put my worries aside and get on with work .
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Kinldy see the detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hello young fellow, So this is really good that your urine culture reports came negative (as I predicted). But still you are tensed about the other of the reports of Polymerase chain reaction. Alright let us think of worst of all first- what if these reports come positive- my dear young man all these are very simple and treatable infections. These are not at all serious infections to which you are so tensed. In any case if these are positive too then also why the things are been made so complicated. I do not understand how long you will complicate and misunderstand a simple situation of kidney stone with WBCs in the urine as sexually transmitted infection. Though as per my futher clinical experience it is not related to any sexually transmitted infection and so the Polymerase chain reaction test for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Trichomonas, Mycoplasma and Lymphogranuloma venereum should come negative. Even if any of these comes positive by any chance by any means then also I would not consider it clinically important because of no clinical sign of any of these disease in yourself. It is most important to see the clinical signs and symptoms of any disease first. It is practically important to get your kidney stone treated properly and nothing else is required. I reassure you fully and ask you to keep your worries aside and get on to work young lad. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not have any further queries then can close the query and rate the answer. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 18 days later
Dear doc. As u predicted the pcr results were also negative. No std detected on pcr too. Thank you for your help. Your disgnose was correct. And thank you for keeping me cool .
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your good feedback is a source of inspiration Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXX, I am really happy to know that your reports are negative. Thank you so much for your kind gesture to inform me. Your feedback is a source of inspiration to work best in the field of health. Thank you again, With best wishes, Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 12 days later
Hello doctor. I have been having red spots on penis on and off again. Then dont pain or itch of any kind. But when i rub them there is white flaky skin. And it remains like a shiny red spot. Earlier in the beginning when i showed it to a doctor he said its kind of fungal infgection. So when i apply fungal cream for 2 days the spots clear out and i have a clear skin. But then again after few days i get those spots and flaky skin again. Do you think it something serious or can u try to help me what it could be !!
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly upload a good resolution picture Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for your further relying on us for your further health queries. There can be multiple possibilities of your penile condition. I would be able to comment on your query after I can see a good resolution picture of the area. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia. Kindly tell me about - - Since how long you are suffering from the problem. -Any itching in the same and if present then is it mild/moderate/severe. - Any pain in the same and if present then is it mild/moderate/severe - Any XXXXXXX discharge you have seen since the beginning of the problem. Hope to hear you soon from your side to help and guide you best. With best health wishes, Dr Sanjay MD Dermatology
Dear doc. Please find the attached pic. Hope it helps. To answer your question its been coming and going since a year or more. No itching ever No pain ever No dishcarge of any type ever And it also happens on inner skin of the penis. Thanks Awaiting your reply .
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Picture not received Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, I have not received the picture yet. I was waiting for the picture to get uploaded. Kindly check with the customer care and resend or upload the picture. I apologize for the unnecessary trouble. With regards, Dr Sanjay