Diagnosed with stage 3 chronic kidney disease and had a kidney function test. Should I be worried about the findings?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I was diagnosed with Stage 3 CKD just three weeks. At that time the specialist told me that my kidney function was at GFR 41(one month prior to this Dr. apt) or 41% functioning he said and that their is no way to repair the kidneys with this disease. So the doctor ordered lots of lab tests that same day which resulted in a score of GFR 32. High anxiety at seeing such a rapid drop in numbers led me to talk with my doctor about taking another blood test in two weeks. That score was GFR 45. So what does that mean when the number goes up after being low and kidney repair is not supposed to happen? Does it mean that your CKD is as bad as the lowest score? This news came out of the blue for me and my head is still spinning. Please clarify this mystery for me regarding kidney function test scores vs. actual kidney damage. Thanks (BTW, am I going to be charged for your response to me?)
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 26 hours later
Brief Answer: GFR testing can be variable Detailed Answer: hi, As I can understand you are suffering from chronic kidney disease. It is an irreversible condition and the pathology in kidney is fibrosis in the tissues of kidney. The function testing of kidney can be done by serum creatinine assay or by GFR testing. GFR testing can be done by calculation from body wt age and serum creatinine levels. it an also be tested by isotope DTPA Scan which is more accurate. your doctor has told you correctly. only thing is that there are inherent inaccuracies in the measurement of these tests and thus repeated testing will show variation. so do not worry. what is more important is to see the trend of this test over next one year by 3 monthly testing. if the value is progressively falling then it shows poor prognosis. but if it is fluctuating in certain range then it is of not much significance. in any case just getting worried over some lab value will not help you in treating of facing that problem.I do agree that lithium can be difficult to manage in your case and it is better to withdraw it but in strict guidance of your doctor. hope this helps. in case any other query please ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj