Diagnosed with sleep apnea. Having DISH. Does this cause sleep apnea?

Dr. Abhishek Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I stop breathing 29 times an hour. I also have Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (Dish desease). I have spurs throughout my body and have a spur in my upper air passage that can be seen if you look down my throat. Would the spur in my throat be the reason for my sleep apnea? Would the removal of the spur stop my sleep apnea? Does Dish Desease create sleep apnea in other ways than with spurs?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 3 hours later

There has not been much association between the spurs and sleep apnea

Sleep apnea is mostly because of the soft tissue indrawing during the air flow in the pharyngeal part ie between the back of nose and start of voice box.this indrawing is because of the negative pressure generated because of turbulent flow of air.

You must see an ENT specialist and get done polysomnography and a proper examination of the airway by endosocpy.

In doubt do reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T