Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with severe scoliosis, RA, severe spinal stenosis. Had cervical laminectomy. Suggest

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
I am 63 yrs old and have been diagnosed with severe scoliosis, RA, severe spinal stenosis in midcervical segment producing myelopathy. In Nov.2006 I had cervical laminectomy at C3, C4, C5, C6, C7. Also bilateral foraminotomies at C5-C6 and C6-C7.Dr also performed posterior cervical fusion C3 thru C7.. I am unable to stand straight if at all, have constant pain and quality of life is gone. I cannot walk w/o holding on to something. I have always been active and this is not acceptable. Tried brace to no avail. What would you suggest I try? Stretching exercises sound like good idea but unsure which ones to do as last thing I want to do is more damage.. Thank you for any suggestions you can offer me.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try for alternative medicine options

Detailed Answer:
Multiple issues causing disability. In case of myelopathy if the decompression done satisfactory then it should improve over a period. Another thing is the RA and scoliosis which may be hampering your mobility. Regular back muscle stretching and exercise should help. Also try alternative medicine options such as acupressure, yoga and pranayam which will definitely improve your mental strength. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with severe scoliosis, RA, severe spinal stenosis. Had cervical laminectomy. Suggest 5 minutes later
So what kind of back muscle stretching and excercises are best? Can u reccomend a site or a book, etc. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult physiotherapist

Detailed Answer:
You have scoliosis and fusion done. I need to see your recent neck xray and in view of scoliosis you need to be assessed by physical therapist to tell you the exact exercise program. You can visit the spine-health web site for more information. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor