Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

172 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Diagnosed with prostatomegaly. Blood test reports are normal. Is it curable by medication?

Answered by
Dr. V. Sasanka


Practicing since :1995

Answered : 529 Questions

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Good evening sir, my father is diagnosed prostatomegaly. It was known by an ultrasound scan. It is mild(0.33 enlargement). He is worrying that, if a surgery is must. Is the condition alarming? Can we cure it only using medications? and he has no burning sensation in the urine, no obstruction in the urinary flow but he complained of delay in voiding. urine test showed mild infection. blood test reports are normal. no other complications except for hypertension. Please help me sir. Thank You.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most likely will need only medicines

Detailed Answer:
Prostate enlargement is almost universal I men over the age of 60 and is picked up on ultrasound quite frequently. If a patient has symptoms of urine flow obstruction or if he is passing urine more frequently especially at nights he might require treatment. Only in patients who do not respond to drugs do we advise a surgery which is an extremely simple endoscopic procedure in most men.
So he need not worry about this right now if he has no major symptoms. Some men might harbour a cancer of prostate which might not produce any symptoms at all initially and therefore in selected patients we do advise a test called PSA to detect an early cancer. This is ideally to be done after a consultation with a Urologist.
He can also get a test called uroflowmetry done to assess his flow rate depending on which we might need to start drugs.
Hope I have been able to help you. Let me know if there are some more reports available.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Prostatomegaly

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am getting a pain the right groin area since last night. I have been lifting weights for some time now but I did not feel any pain while exercising. The pain began while I was sleeping last night. Though the pain is not severe,it...

doctor1 MD

I am 55years aged male, reported Grade1 Prostatomegaly and mild fatty Liver in abdomen and kub scan. I had abdomen pain especially after long walking. My Physician advised UROSOL 150 ONCE DAILY and URIMAX 0.4G (TWICE A DAY). Please suggest any...

doctor1 MD

My dad is having problems in urine bladder .... In testing reports grade GRADE III PROSTATOMEGALY WITH SIGNIFICANT POSTVOID RESIDUE Is it critical situation?

doctor1 MD

I am male, 67 years old. I have recently had a scan and found out that my prostate is showing PROSTATOMEGALY, and as the prostate is enlarged it is pushing my bladder. I have been getting a mild pain on the right hand side of the lower abdomen for 2 or 3 years, a bearable pain but concerning. Could this pain be coming from the enlarged prostate pushing on the bladder ?

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. Chandan,
USG reported that I have a mildly enlarged prostate measuring 3.1x3.4x3.4 cm(weight 21gms). It also shows homogenous and smooth outline. Seminal vesicles are normal. USG impression: mild prostatomegaly. I am 40 years old. Is there any problem in having sexual intercourse? Please suggest me what to do.

doctor1 MD

I HAVE GOT ULTRA SOUND ABDOMEN TEST TODAY ON A CASUAL CHECK-UP. IT WAS REPORTED THAT enlarged size with median lobe protuding into bladder base, normal in shaoe, position, and echotexture. Radiologist remarked it as GRAII PROSTATOMEGALY. i am now 50 year old man.

kindly advise me about this finding,