Diagnosed with prostatomegaly. Blood test reports are normal. Is it curable by medication?

Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Good evening sir, my father is diagnosed prostatomegaly. It was known by an ultrasound scan. It is mild(0.33 enlargement). He is worrying that, if a surgery is must. Is the condition alarming? Can we cure it only using medications? and he has no burning sensation in the urine, no obstruction in the urinary flow but he complained of delay in voiding. urine test showed mild infection. blood test reports are normal. no other complications except for hypertension. Please help me sir. Thank You.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
most likely will need only medicines

Detailed Answer:
Prostate enlargement is almost universal I men over the age of 60 and is picked up on ultrasound quite frequently. If a patient has symptoms of urine flow obstruction or if he is passing urine more frequently especially at nights he might require treatment. Only in patients who do not respond to drugs do we advise a surgery which is an extremely simple endoscopic procedure in most men.
So he need not worry about this right now if he has no major symptoms. Some men might harbour a cancer of prostate which might not produce any symptoms at all initially and therefore in selected patients we do advise a test called PSA to detect an early cancer. This is ideally to be done after a consultation with a Urologist.
He can also get a test called uroflowmetry done to assess his flow rate depending on which we might need to start drugs.
Hope I have been able to help you. Let me know if there are some more reports available.