Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis and suffering from prostate cancer. How serious is it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
My 59-year old brother was just diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis and has been told that he should see a liver specialist soon. He also had prostate cancer and had the gland removed in March but is now undergoing radiation treatments because his PSA started to rise. How serious is the PSC diagnosis and should he be taking medicine? His liver enzymes have been high. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Primary sclerosing cholangitis ( PSC ) is an autoimmune disorder resulting in inflammation of bile ducts inside as well as outside of liver. This persistent inflammation results in blockages of bile ducts which results in stasis of bile which ultimately results in destruction of liver cells leading to biliary cirrhosis. There is no known proven therapy for PSC and the ultimate and proven treatment is liver transplant only.this disease progresses slowly and takes time to get diagnosed. Temporary treatments involved are URSODIOL,vitamins,antibiotics for infection and anti itching medicines,but this treatment doesn't prolong the survival rate. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor