Diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. Treatment and diet?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Recently I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries, How should it be treated and what is the diet that I should follow? Will this cause difficulty in concieving? I have been having irregular periods periods from past 6 months.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 16 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
PCOS constitutes a whole spectrum of symptoms and may present in many ways. Irregular periods are common.Along with that over weight is a problem. You will need to lose weight with the help of diet control and exercise.See a dietician to chalk out a low carb diet. For the irregular periods,you will need medication to regularise them. Conception may be a problem as often there is anovulation so in that area,you may need the help of drugs.