Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with pneumonia and a GI infection. Missing bowel movement. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
Hi I am 33 years old. I have been to the ER twice in the last 2 weeks. I was diagnosed with Pnemonia and a GI infection. They saw a mass in my upper left abdomen. At the time I was vomiting and had diarrea. Surgeons deemed it unnessary for surgery. Now I feel completely fine however I vomit everything I eat. I have not had a bowel movement in 4 days. I can urinate fine and pass gas a little. Every time I eat it seems to get stuck in my throat and within 3-5 hrs I will vomit. I've tried eating apples, drinking Prune juice, eating salads. Is there anything I can do which doesn't involve going back to the ER? I do not have insurance and two visits to the ER I'm sure has a stupid XXXXXXX attached to it.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
In view of repeated visits to the ER for a bout of pneumonia with Gi infection it is likely that there could be some sort of obstruction which can either be mechanical or functional. The investigation of choice would be upper GI endoscopy. This will help in arriving at a diagnosis.
If endoscopy does not yield any result then either a ultrasound or CT scan of the abdomen.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with pneumonia and a GI infection. Missing bowel movement. What should I do? 2 minutes later
They did do a CT scan while I was at the hospital the last time. They just said they wanted to watch it. NO help to me... Is there anything I can do at home to clear the obstruction?

Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 17 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
The CT report needs to be studied.
There is no way a home remedy can be suggested without knowing the cause of the problem.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor