Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with osgood schlatter's disease. Have painful lump where the tendon attaches to the bone. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
My 17 yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter's disease. I thought this was associated with growing, she hasn't grown at all in the last 5 years. She is a dancer, so she is very active. The only time her knee hurts is when she kneels on it or touches the sensitive area. The MRI showed everything in good shape, although she has this small painful lump where the tendon attaches to the bone. Is there anything else it could be other than Osgood Schlatter disease? and what can she do to heal?
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for the query.
OSD has nothing to do with growth and growth of the child  is not affected.
Osgood-Schlatter disease ( OSD ) is one of the most common cause for pain in adolescents and in fact it is not a disease but rather a overuse injury. It is caused by inflammation of the tendon below the kneecap (patellar tendon) where it attaches to the shinbone (tibia). Young adolescents who participate in certain sports, including soccer, gymnastics, basketball, and distance running, are most at risk for this disease.

Osgood-Schlatter disease is a painful swelling of the bump called as the anterior tibial tubercle and general the pain occurs on kneeling.

Although the diagnosis can be made just by clinical examination only but doing MRI is always better,as it rules out other other problems mimicking OSD.

The diagnosis in your child looks pretty certain since
Pain is not severe
There is no history of pain at night or after rest
There is no bone pain at other sites
MRI is normal

The prognosis and expectation is very good as problem goes away in few years,once the child stops growing.

As far as treatment is concerned,it involves rest,local icing and use of anti inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen and avoiding  physical activity for couple of weeks,whenever she is having severe pains.In normal course no specific treatment is required.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with osgood schlatter's disease. Have painful lump where the tendon attaches to the bone. Concerned 1 hour later
But she stopped growing YEARS ago. She hasn't grown since she was 12 years old. I understand it is not a "growing" disease. I understand that it was caused by overuse.

She is now 17. When you say she will get better "once she stops growing", I don't understand how this applies to somebody that is no longer growing. She matured quite early, as many girls do. She is most definetly not experiencing a growth spurt.

How does this disease apply to somebody like her who is not a growing child and who hasn't been for many years? How will she get better?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Your question is perfectly right and good one and the answer lies in the physiology of the body.
Cosmetic maturity/physical maturity is different from skeletal maturity.
Skeletal maturity occurs when the epiphysis of the bones fuse.
In OSD there us repetitive strain on the ossification center of the tibial tuberosity resulting in traction apophysitis of tibial tubercle.
Once the cartilage or bone is pulled away,this ossification center ceases to grow and formation of fibrous tissue takes place resulting in disappearing of pain.

I know it is tough for a non medical person to understand it but in broader sense,it is the skeletal maturity,which counts and it takes place between 14 to 18 years.

I hope it is clear to you know,however you are  welcome to write back again,in case you have some additional query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor