Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with mono and an enlarged spleen. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi I was recently diagnosed with mono and an enlarged spleen. I'm not sure how to sleep cuz im afraid it will rupture. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

To safeguard against rupture, you should avoid athletic activities and physically demanding jobs.

You can take any postures to sleep except for prone position.

Splenomegaly usually subsides by itself once the primary cause is resolved.

Enlarged spleen causes a sense of fullness and a dragging sensation in the abdomen and is vulnerable to rupture once it is a massive spleen, that is spleen reaching umbilicus or beyond.

I wish you early recovery.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with mono and an enlarged spleen. What should I do? 9 hours later
Ok so what exactly is prone position?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
You should not lay on the bed with your face down.
take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor